Monday, April 30, 2012

The chosen one...

There are many people in the special needs community who believe that they were "chosen" to be the parents of their particular children.  You hear things like, "God knew what he was doing when he chose you to be his/her parent."  "Trust God." "God is good." "There are no mistakes in life."  "Everything happens for a reason."  There are even poems written on the subject.  Yes, I have read many of them and yes, for a moment they did make me feel better.  But honestly?

I beg to differ...

It's a nice sentiment, but I think in reality, these are cliches that people say to make themselves or others feel better when faced with a tough situation.  I think it's the "everything happens for a reason" one that I call Bull-shi* on the most.  If everything happens for a reason then why do bad things happen to good people?  Why do innocent children get terminal illnesses?  Why do tragic accidents occur?  If you can reason your way out of these scenarios, I'd ask you to please explain it to the loved ones who have been affected by such circumstances.  

And as far as being a chosen one, I'm not so sure about that one either.  Does it give me a sense of purpose to believe this statement?  Does it make me feel empowered?  I suppose that is the thought behind it.  But I am still struggling to make sense of it all.  I *want* to believe these things that make me feel better, that instill hope, that provide comfort and security in a confusing world.  But I just can't help but question it...   

I guess it's really about making lemonade from life's lemons.  About focusing on the positives and trying as hard as you can to find the silver lining.  To me, that is more meaningful than any of the above lines that people use.  That is a practice you can put into place - an attitude you can choose to live your life by.  

At the end of the day, I choose hope.  I really do.  It's my only option.  I say, "F - you universe!  You do NOT win!  If you "chose" me, then you chose wisely because I refuse to roll over, to give up, to let sadness or fear take over.  If YOU chose ME, then I choose HOPE."  It's as simple as that.  And maybe that's the reason for it all.  Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment